The convent was founded by Doña Teresa de Meneses, a nun who was the widow of the sixth lord Rodrigo de Orellana. She requested authorization from Rome in 1528 to create a convent in Orellana together with her daughters: one separated, without integration in a religious order, and the other, who became prioress of the convent.
The Bishop of Plasencia issues the licenses and the works will take some years to start. Economic problems led their benefactors to live in houses in the village, in a state of almost precariousness. For this reason, they sued the convents where they had been and left the large dowries with which they entered.
The justice system proved them right and they obtained the money to carry out the construction.